What is Lîla Yoga®?
” Influenced by Jiddu Krishnamurti’s philosophy and Krishnamacharya’s teachings, Lila Yoga® is a traditional practice of Hatha (physical), Raja (philosophical), and Bhakti (devotional) Yoga. Through postures, breath work, meditation, teachings, silence, chants and devotions, Lila Yoga explores the possibility of living in brilliant ease by rejuvenating Self-trust/love, awakening energy within our body, and uniting this with universal currents of energy around us. ”
“Rather than mimicking the shape of a posture, Lila Yoga® focuses on clarifying the direction and intensity of these pathways. The result is deeply engaged and focused yoga postures.”
“Lila Yoga® is a method of practice that balances discipline and curiosity while inspiring strength and creativity. Using the body as a tool to understand the mind, Lila Yoga® is a philosophy in motion—a meditation in motion.”
Lîla Yoga® focuses on…
- the power of the mind
- internal and external energy patterns
- quality & depth of involvement
- clarity within the moment
- living with more agility and grace
- trusting the intuitive
How I came to Yoga?
“I am thankful for being introduced to the great science of yoga at age 9 and thankful for being a personality that was receptive to the concepts and philosophies. When I think of those early years, I think of my mother/my Teacher–and her unwavering patience in teaching me with love and persistence.
Influenced by Krishnamacharya’s teachings and Krishna Murti’s philosophies, I was brought into this beautiful lineage of yoga. When I think of yoga, I think of life. Through my life with yoga, I began to refine my awareness, my choices. I experienced moments of yoga–true integration beyond the limited body/mind. These moments were so potent that I felt compelled to practice more–to learn more. By age 14 I was practicing 3-5 times a week with my meditation teacher Dr Clayton McCracken.
As I continued to practice and sensitize, I felt a strong awareness of energy within me and around me yielding complete connectivity. This was the beginnings of Lila Yoga®. Lila Yoga® explores the possibility of living in brilliant ease by rejuvenating Self-trust, awakening energy pathways within the body, and uniting them with the currents of energy around us. Using the body as a tool to understand the mind, Lila Yoga® is a philosophy in motion—a meditation in motion.” –Erica Kaufman
Bio: Erica Kaufman, MFA, E-RYT500+
Erica is a dancer, choreographer, yogini, and a Contact Improviser.
- a student of Krishnamacharya’s teachings and studied at Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Chennai, India
- a student of Krishnamurti’s philosophy and studied at Krishnamurti Foundation
- Founder of Lila Yoga®
- Highest Level of Registry with Yoga Alliance
- Practicing since 1975, teaching since 1984
- Yoga Journal noted Erica’s Lîla Yoga classes with its signature Karma Credit.
- Teaching Contact Improvisation since 1989
- In 2008 worked with Nancy Stark Smith to coordinate CI36 — the international, once a decade, celebration commemorating the inception of Contact Improvisation.
- USA, Europe, and Israel teaching seminars on Creativity, Improvisation, Movement & Reconciliation, Dance, Contact Improvisation and Yoga
- Pennsylvania State University
- Shambhala Mountain Center in the Colorado Rockies
- Lila Yoga Studios
- Conservatory at Point Park College
- Carnegie Institute
- University of Denver
- Visiting Professor: University of Marburg in Germany (visiting artist Fall ‘05)
- Guest Artist: Bewegungs-art in Freibrug
- Juniata College
Fun Fact: Since 2006, she has taught Lila Yoga, in its basic form, to Pennsylvania Deputies Sheriffs as part of their physical conditioning program.
Find more yoga studios:
Yoga Centers Directory